Wednesday, November 26, 2008

TIME is all we really own


So, I've been thinking a lot lately about blessings and talents we are born with. You know how when you think of some people, you say, she's an awesome artist or she sings like an angel or whatever. I have always had a hard time finding my "niche"because I'm (good at) not super great at any one thing. But lately ,with Dad's cancer, and a couple of other disconcerting events happening in our lives, my blessings and talents now seem a little clearer. I have the best friends in the world, always have. I have this incredible ability to love people and to be loved back.
I have been blessed to be asked to attend
many births, what a private and glorious event.
I have been asked to dress a few bodies, like the body of a precious baby of a dear friend who died shortly after birth.
I was asked to sing at the funeral of my precious friend, Kathi, because that was her last request.
When you think of the thousands of people a person knows in their lives, and to be the ONE person to attend a birth or dress a body or sing at a funeral, that is truly amazing.
When Dad was diagnosed with cancer, our thoughts were never...how much money did we make in the last 25 years or what did we acquire , it was what did we do with our TIME in the last 25 years? What will we do with our TIME the next 25 years ? If we are so blessed. One day shortly after Dad's surgery, I came home to find a grown man sitting on the floor in front of dad, visiting him. A pot of soup on the stove, that he had prepared himself, and a loaf of bread. My heart just melted as this sweet man gave dad his TIME. He was no less busy than the rest of us.
Simply, dad was his friend. Today, I am so grateful to our Heavenly Father for my friends and the TIME I have to love all those I have to love.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just love YOU so much! I loved your entry today - it filled my heart with warm fuzzies. I hope to cultivate that as one of my own talents. Thank you for being so wonderful and for having such wonderful children that have made a tremendously positive impact in my life.

Jason Siemers said...

You have an ora about you that radiates a gentle love that draws people to you. Your sweet voice and soft face makes one long to be near you. With tears in my eyes at reading your entry, I think of the first time I met you exactly 7 years ago, almost to the day and the feeling that held true in that moment and still holds true today is that instant draw to just want to hug you...and not just a hug by social definition which is more like a hand shake, but to really hold on and not let go for what some people would deem as uncomfortably too long and awkward, and yet for you it is just right. And that (like all true talents) is not something you wake up and decide to have, but is born with you as part of you and as you use it and cultivate it, becomes you, and radiates to others. You are the pinnacle of a mother as part of your being, and as I have said time and time again, you are the person that other people want to adopt as their mother upon first sight of you, even if they don’t know you. So with marriage or not, you would have been my mother-I have claimed you. -Rachel

Sami said...

I really have the BEST mom I could ever dream of! How did I get so lucky to have the family I have? Mom, you are my beautiful example!

Followers