Thursday, January 15, 2009

HAPPINESS

I admit it... I am a smiley face junkie and I like happiness. I add them to my notes, I collect them. So fun. An article in LDS Living had some facts about my smiley face and happiness I didn't know.
* 1963 was when it was invented. It was a graphic for an insurance company who wanted a logo to improve their employees moral.
* 1988 was when the phrase"Don't worry be happy" was coined by Bobby McFerrin in his hit song.
* 1 in 3 Americans rank themselves very happy.
* 1 in 3 Americans rank themselves very stressed.
* 71 is the average age of the happiest people.
* 18 minutes was the average time people in the 1950's laughed each day.
* 5 minutes is the average today.
* The U.S. is ranked the 13th! happiest Country in the world.(Shame on Us)
* 5 months is the age in which babies can distinguish between a happy or sad song.
* Every person in the world recognizes the smiley face to represent happiness.
* 112 times young children laugh during the day, the average 42 year old only 6
So don't worry be happy! When things are OK store up your smiles in your happy bank to get you through the hard times. Hey, am I the only one blogging? I thought this was for the family??? :-)

3 comments:

Gail said...

I'm intrigued! If 1/3 are happy and 1/3 are stressed, what are the other 1/3 doing?? I have a goal to laugh (and make Rich laugh) every day. Pretty hard to sustain for 18 minutes though, unless you're watching reruns of "I Love Lucy" or something...
Whenever I picture you, you have a huge smile on your face in my mind, so you certainly represent happiness to me!

Sami said...

Mom, the more and more I get to know you and the more I think about it I realize how many common interests I share with you! =) Its fun to see! Its sad to see that we go from laughing 112 times a day to only 6!

Jason Siemers said...

My favorite sound in the world is Jason's laugh. Not a fake laugh, but the full out laugh when no one is around and he is watching some funny show alone and I over hear him. It makes me laugh every time, and I get happy all over. Genuine child laughter when they can't stop is my second favorite sound, especially when it is my own children. Something magical about it. Now that Chase has started laughing, I just drink it all in. I saw a thing on Opra? *maybe* about laugh therapy. People go to this class and laugh, for like an hour. They are retaught how to laugh, and are given techniques on how to make yourself laugh. It helps with distressing, it is good exercise, and lengthens your life. Sad that we need therapy to be happy, and have to relearn how to laugh and be happy, but good that we strive for it.

Followers