Wednesday, January 21, 2009

One for the History Books


What a truly amazing day yesterday was. (no matter what your political beliefs) To really internalize what happened, it was be an incredible day in history. Ever since I can remember, especially as a little child, my mind could never accept that we could be treated differently because of the way we look , what we believe or even how much money we make. My very first LOVE in my life was in Kindergarten and his name was Willie. He had a hugh smile and the sweetest eyes I had ever seen. It didn't hurt that he ran across the gym to me, as fast as his little feet would go, to stand by my side to be my partner in P.E. We were learning "Oh, Johnny Oh' and the "Virginia Reel" and I still to this day, join in at school, with a happy, happy, heart. I told my mom all about Willie and then one day she showed up to pick me up and there I was holding Willie's hand excited for her to meet him. From that day on I was never "allowed" to talk to him again. I had never noticed that his skin was black, he was just beautiful to me. Well, if you know me at all you know I still talked and danced with him, my mom just didn't hear about it. But, my point is, my mom just did not know any better, she was raised in the 40's.
We moved the next school year but Willie was always a part of my heart. He was my very first LOVE after all. Who knows, Willie could be the NEXT president! :-)

4 comments:

Sami said...

mom,
I'm glad you are the way you are! =)

Laurel and co. said...

Love you! Miss you! tons and tons!

Athack77 said...

I've dated and even kissed several black guys. I'm glad things have finally changed socially and we don't have to live like our grandparents. Knoweldge is truly power.

Jason Siemers said...

Speaking of young love, I have a cute story about Renee...this is her story. A little boy in her kindergarten class named Carson started hugging her every time he saw her, or hugging her from behind while she sat at her desk, every time he walked past her. A little girl at her table said, "I am going to tell that he loves you." Renee said, "Why do you love me so much? Is it because I wear beautiful clothes every time I come here?" Carson replied, "Yes." Later Carson asked her to marry him. Renee responded, "No." "Why not?" "I already have a boyfriend." "Who?" "James Boyter." (The first boy who ever asked her to marry him, a long time friend). "Am I your boyfriend too?" asked Carson. "Yes," replied Renee, "I have two boyfriends." (Then clarifying to me the difference between boyfriend, and boy that is your friend). I asked her how it made her feel to have a boy like her. "Nervous." She replied. "Does it make you feel happy, too?" "Yes." she said smiling. I thought that was sweet. -Rachel

Followers