Saturday, January 17, 2009

What's in a Name ?


I just finished a book titled "Someone Knows my Name" by Lawrence Hill. It's about a fictional character (a young African girl who is stolen into the slave world of the 1700's) written with historical facts. Any way, the honor of her name is a major theme in this novel. It got me thinking this week about my own name and how people perceive it. Now... Take a minute and think of a name.. like Santa...Your best friend's name...Hitler...Elvis...Jesus. Whenever you think of a name, an image pops into your head of that person automatically. Good or bad, it is never neutral. You can't help your reaction. It is in direct proportion to the way they make you feel. Now think of your own name, how do people think about you?

I remember a thought and I do not know the author. It says:

I may not remember what you said
I may not remember what you did
But I always remember how you made me feel.

My goal for this year is to have anyone hearing my name think of it as a positive.

P.S. How come even in a crowded store when you hear mom or nana. You happily look around for a second, even though you know it's really not for you, hoping it is?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I only get good feelings all over when I think of you mom! =) You and Tammy are the only people I have ever heard others describe as "angelic." That term isn't used loosely. Yet when I have heard others use it to describe either one of you...it just feels right.

Jason Siemers said...

I heard in a communications class in college once, that your own name is your favorite word to hear...that is why you can tune an entire conversation out and then automatically tune right in the second your name is mentioned, as if you had just woken up from a dream. That is why it is SO important to know and remember someone's name and use it. Vanessa wrote a blog entry about the use of one's name a while ago, it was interesting. -rachel

Followers