Saturday, January 10, 2009


PROGRESS.... It's all in your perspective

Every summer from my 12th year on, we would travel from San Jose and our well trimmed, edged yard to visit Aunt Zelda and Uncle Orville in Fort Jones. (Prior to my manicured lawn, and having a dad, from birth to age 12 I lived among gangs and had full responsibility for two younger siblings.Time for that tale in another story. I actually have been blessed with many "perspectives" in my lifetime) For a week each summer we visited my cousin Cindy. Scott Valley to me, was a world of horses, cowboys, Indians (for real!) pine trees, logging, ranching, farming, fish in the streams and about a million deer. At age 16 my dad decided to move us to Scott Valley. I told him I would run away if he took me away from my friends, we did not move. As I look back, more perspective, it probably would have been a good move. I love it here. I probably would have married a Friden, Heitt or a Thackeray. All really good people. The valley grows really good people.
In 1977 I finally did move here and with $4000.00 we started the very first cable company in Scott Valley. Up to that point they only had access to T.V. through antennas. In 1982 we sold the cable company to the phone company because the cost of operation was becoming prohibitive. In 2009 the cable company is now shutting it's doors because the cost of operation is ..... you guessed it too prohibitive. Customers must choose to use a satellite dish or ANTENNAS.
Well, 32 years later and we still have horses, cowboys, Indians(for real!) pine trees, logging, ranching, farming,fish in the streams and about a million deer. We still grow good people and we still don't have Cable!

2 comments:

Laurel and co. said...

I just love you! happy new year to you and your sweet family too!

Athack77 said...

I didn't know all that about you, especially the cable company stuff. That's crazy their going out of business and sad to because that's someone's job and people lives. Thanks for sharing. It was fun to see everyone over Christmas.

Followers